The NHS Norfolk and Waveney Integrated Care Board (ICB) investigates, records and responds to compliments, complaints, enquiries and concerns from patients and members of the public. This allows local issues and concerns to be shared and provides opportunity for learning alongside our colleagues at other service providers in Norfolk and Waveney.

Contact the Complaints team

You can contact the ICB Complaints team by:

  • E-mail:
  • In writing:  Complaints Manager, NHS Norfolk and Waveney Integrated Care Board, County Hall, Martineau Lane, Norwich, NR1 2DL
  • Telephone: 01603 595857 (This is an answer machine service. Please leave a message requesting a call back).

Who can make a complaint?

Anyone can raise a concern or make a complaint. You can complain about NHS services or treatment you receive or you can complain on behalf of another person.

If you make a complaint on behalf of someone else, please ask their permission before you contact us. We need to ensure patient confidentiality and the patient’s written consent will be sought before we respond to the issues you have raised on their behalf.

How do I raise a concern or make a complaint?

Although we always try to commission responsibly so that you are provided with the best possible care, we know that sometimes things can go wrong.  We try to sort out most problems easily and quickly. In the first instance you should speak to the person concerned when the problem arises – they should try to resolve your concerns for you.

If, however you are not completely satisfied or they cannot resolve your problem, you may wish to make a formal complaint. You can make a formal complaint by contacting our Complaints and Enquiries Team.

What can I expect after making a complaint?

All formal complaints will be acknowledged within three working days. We expect to be able to respond to complaints within 30 working days. However, if this is not possible we will notify you with a revised date for response.

For all formal complaints a written response will be sent to you from the ICB’s Chief Executive, which will answer the issues you have raised.

Complaints about primary care services (GP, dentist, pharmacy or optician)

The ICB has taken on responsibility for all primary care complaints from NHS England as of 1 July 2023.

If you would like to raise a complaint or concern about any aspect of care, treatment, or service you have received the practice/provider would welcome the opportunity to hear from you and work together to address your concerns as quickly as possible. In most instances this would mean asking the setting to either speak to their practice manager or complaints manager, or requesting a copy of their complaints procedure.

Alternatively, if you feel that your complaint cannot be resolved locally with the practice/provider, you can raise your complaint to NHS Norfolk and Waveney ICB as the commissioner of primary care services, using the contact details at the top of this page.

Please note that you cannot raise the same complaint to both organisations and that once a complaint has been responded to formally, the ICB will be unable to reconsider this.

Patients with ongoing primary care complaints

  • If you have an ongoing complaint that was submitted to NHS England on/after 1 July 2022, that will now be handled by the ICB. You will receive a letter from NHS England informing you that the ICB is now handling your complaint with confirmation of your case handler. 
  • If you have an ongoing complaint submitted before 1 July 2022 you will receive a letter from NHS England informing you that your complaint is being kept with NHS England, and will receive confirmation of your case handler.

Complaints about a hospital, mental health or community trust

Patients who have a comment or complaint about a hospital, mental health or community trust should contact the provider directly.

What to do if you are not satisfied

If you are not satisfied with our response you can write to us stating the reasons why you are dissatisfied. We will arrange to review and provide a further response to your complaint, if appropriate.

You have the right to take your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, if you are not satisfied with the way your complaint has been dealt with by the NHS. The Ombudsman will generally only consider your complaint once you have completed the ICB’s complaints procedure and received your final response.

If the Ombudsman is of the opinion that the ICB can do more to resolve your complaint, they will refer your complaint back to us.

You can contact the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman at:

  • Address: The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, London, SW1P 4QP
  • Telephone: 0345 015 4033
  • Website:

Where can I receive help to make my complaint?

While the ICB’s Complaints and Enquiries team are very happy to assist people in bringing their complaint to the NHS, independent advocacy services are offered by POHWER. Their contact details are below.

  • Telephone: 0300 456 2370
  • Email:
  • Address: PO Box 14043, Birmingham, B6 9BL